[mythtv-users] Dual digital audio outputs

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 18:14:35 UTC 2018

On 02/11/18 16:38, Allen Edwards wrote:
> I have tried and failed to get both HDMI and SPDIF outputs working at
> the same time.  I can get either one working by using default:pulse and
> switching them with the pulse control panel but it would be nice to have
> them both working without having to get up and go to a terminal when I
> want to listen to a show with the big sound on.
>
> In my old system from 10 years ago I had two SPDIF outputs, one for the
> TV through a converter and one into the surround system.  At that time
> my asound.conf file looked like this:
>
> pcm.!default {
> type plug
> slave {
> pcm "hw:0,1"
> format S32_LE
> }
> }
>

> I tried to follow "Simultaneous Audio Output to Independent Devices" and
> eliminate the extraneous stuff and came up with this.  Note that the TV
> gets sound from HDMI and that works but I do not get sound on the
> surround system.
>
> dad at NewMyth:~$ more /etc/asound.conf
> pcm.!default {
>      type plug
>      slave {
>          pcm "multi_dig"
>      }
> }
>
> pcm.multi_dig {
>      type multi
>      # Define SPDIF slave
>      slaves.a {
>          pcm "hw:0,1"
>          #tried both with and without this next line
>          format S32_LE
>      }
>      # Define HDMI slave
>      slaves.b {
>          pcm "hw:1,7"
>      }
> }
>
> I set Myth setup to asla:default but I only get HDMI audio.  If I set
> myth to play device  hw:0,1 I get audio out of the surround and if I set
> it up to Nvidia HDMI 7 I get output to the TV.
>
> I tried to look in the Alsa website and read an article on multiple
> cards and all I understood was that things are probably different now
> and nothing that used to work will work any more.  Maybe that is the
> problem...
>
> I am using Muthbuntu 16.  Anybody have this working on a similar system
> and care to share?
>
> Allen

Well, no, I don't have a similar system, but my fedora kde/plasma setup
has simultaneous audio to HDMI and builtin audio set up as default.  My
/etc/asound.conf is effectively empty.

But searching for 'ubuntu simultaneous audio ...' gave a 2018 reference
to paprefs, Pulse Audio Preferences, a graphical utility available via
apt-get.  It might do what you want.

John