[mythtv-users] Dual digital audio outputs

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 19:28:12 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 11:15 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 02/11/18 16:38, Allen Edwards wrote:
> > I have tried and failed to get both HDMI and SPDIF outputs working at
> > the same time.  I can get either one working by using default:pulse and
> > switching them with the pulse control panel but it would be nice to have
> > them both working without having to get up and go to a terminal when I
> > want to listen to a show with the big sound on.
> >
> > In my old system from 10 years ago I had two SPDIF outputs, one for the
> > TV through a converter and one into the surround system.  At that time
> > my asound.conf file looked like this:
> >
> > pcm.!default {
> > type plug
> > slave {
> > pcm "hw:0,1"
> > format S32_LE
> > }
> > }
> >

> > I tried to follow "Simultaneous Audio Output to Independent Devices" and
> > eliminate the extraneous stuff and came up with this.  Note that the TV
> > gets sound from HDMI and that works but I do not get sound on the
> > surround system.
> >
> > dad at NewMyth:~$ more /etc/asound.conf
> > pcm.!default {
> >      type plug
> >      slave {
> >          pcm "multi_dig"
> >      }
> > }
> >
> > pcm.multi_dig {
> >      type multi
> >      # Define SPDIF slave
> >      slaves.a {
> >          pcm "hw:0,1"
> >          #tried both with and without this next line
> >          format S32_LE
> >      }
> >      # Define HDMI slave
> >      slaves.b {
> >          pcm "hw:1,7"
> >      }
> > }
> >
> > I set Myth setup to asla:default but I only get HDMI audio.  If I set
> > myth to play device  hw:0,1 I get audio out of the surround and if I set
> > it up to Nvidia HDMI 7 I get output to the TV.
> >
> > I tried to look in the Alsa website and read an article on multiple
> > cards and all I understood was that things are probably different now
> > and nothing that used to work will work any more.  Maybe that is the
> > problem...
> >
> > I am using Muthbuntu 16.  Anybody have this working on a similar system
> > and care to share?
> >
> > Allen
>
> Well, no, I don't have a similar system, but my fedora kde/plasma setup
> has simultaneous audio to HDMI and builtin audio set up as default.  My
> /etc/asound.conf is effectively empty.
>
> But searching for 'ubuntu simultaneous audio ...' gave a 2018 reference
> to paprefs, Pulse Audio Preferences, a graphical utility available via
> apt-get.  It might do what you want.
>
> John

John, How do you have it set up to do HDMI and builtin audio at the same
time?  Is the built in audio digital?  I suspect mine gives HDMI and analog
although I have not tried it as that is not what I want.

I tried paprefs I will spare you the details but let's just say I would not
recommend it.

Allen