[mythtv-users] Dual digital audio outputs

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:38:19 UTC 2018

I have tried and failed to get both HDMI and SPDIF outputs working at
the same time.  I can get either one working by using default:pulse and
switching them with the pulse control panel but it would be nice to have
them both working without having to get up and go to a terminal when I want
to listen to a show with the big sound on.

In my old system from 10 years ago I had two SPDIF outputs, one for the TV
through a converter and one into the surround system.  At that time my
asound.conf file looked like this:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
format S32_LE
}
}

I tried to follow "Simultaneous Audio Output to Independent Devices" and
eliminate the extraneous stuff and came up with this.  Note that the TV
gets sound from HDMI and that works but I do not get sound on the surround
system.

dad at NewMyth:~$ more /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm "multi_dig"
    }
}

pcm.multi_dig {
    type multi
    # Define SPDIF slave
    slaves.a {
        pcm "hw:0,1"
        #tried both with and without this next line
        format S32_LE
    }
    # Define HDMI slave
    slaves.b {
        pcm "hw:1,7"
    }
}

I set Myth setup to asla:default but I only get HDMI audio.  If I set myth
to play device  hw:0,1 I get audio out of the surround and if I set it up
to Nvidia HDMI 7 I get output to the TV.

I tried to look in the Alsa website and read an article on multiple cards
and all I understood was that things are probably different now and nothing
that used to work will work any more.  Maybe that is the problem...

I am using Muthbuntu 16.  Anybody have this working on a similar system and
care to share?

Allen