[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Dec 27 18:05:48 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 11:24:09AM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 11:06 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:54:45PM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > > As soon as Logitech gets voice input working from the remote to Android,
> > > will be happy and will sell my old Philips Pronto remotes (even though
> > they
> > > do not have half the features of Harmony).
> >
> > Are they working on that?  I also wish they'd come out with a
> > replacement remote that has a microphone.
> >

> Not to my knowledge, but they would be stupid not to be working on it
> IMHO.  It could be used on Roku, Android and Apple right out of the gate.
> I have been letting the house use the slim shield remotes for a year or so
> amd the search on Android TV that searches my Plex and online content just
> makes it so damn easy, it is a tv watching game changer..  Not having to
> browse the library via key presses is *very* nice as you probably agree.
>
> If they are not working on it, I would be shocked.  I am sure it would
> resuire changing the comms between the remote and hub from RF to BT or IP,
> but hell - that cannot be too hard since that protocol is already written
> and running in the hub.   It is not a true engineering re-write as I would
> call it - more of a shuffle.  Time will tell.

In case you don't already know, the game controller has a microphone
too.  If you leave the controller plugged into USB (so the battery
doesn't run out) and turn on the appropriate settings, you can access
the Google Assistant by saying "Hey/Okay Google".  You might have to
pause whatever you're playing, though, for it to hear and understand
you.

David
--
David Engel