[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 20:59:56 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 12:06 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 11:24:09AM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:

> Android,
> though
> > > they
> > >
> > > Are they working on that?  I also wish they'd come out with a
> > > replacement remote that has a microphone.
> > >

> > Not to my knowledge, but they would be stupid not to be working on it
> > IMHO.  It could be used on Roku, Android and Apple right out of the gate.
> > I have been letting the house use the slim shield remotes for a year or
> so
> > amd the search on Android TV that searches my Plex and online content
> just
> > makes it so damn easy, it is a tv watching game changer..  Not having to
> > browse the library via key presses is *very* nice as you probably agree.
> >
> > If they are not working on it, I would be shocked.  I am sure it would
> > resuire changing the comms between the remote and hub from RF to BT or
> IP,
> > but hell - that cannot be too hard since that protocol is already written
> > and running in the hub.   It is not a true engineering re-write as I
> would
> > call it - more of a shuffle.  Time will tell.
>
> In case you don't already know, the game controller has a microphone
> too.  If you leave the controller plugged into USB (so the battery
> doesn't run out) and turn on the appropriate settings, you can access
> the Google Assistant by saying "Hey/Okay Google".  You might have to
> pause whatever you're playing, though, for it to hear and understand
> you.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david at istwok.net

I have the google mini, so it already does it for me, but I have not set it
all up yet (switching from Amazon to Google).  My house is OpenHAB and
google integration is much better tyhan amazon.

Also, the Echo's activate *a lot* from background noise here, and the mini
has never done it (although my android phone has)..

Google does have a way to go to catch up to Alexa with respect to shortcuts
and question/response handling and such, but google arguably has the best
programmers on the planet (couple handfuls of linux kernel programmers I
would fly on separate planes as well) for operating systems and systems in
general, so I do not think it will be a long while.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

-Greg