[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 22:16:24 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 4:02 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 08:47:54AM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > Also, if you have a Harmony remote and hub, the keys are much better (you
> > get the a-z keyboard keys in the harmony app) if you set it up as a
> Windows
> > PC rather than a nVidia Shield device.  This of course will keep the
> power
> > command from working, but you can set the shield to go to sleep after
> > inactivity in it's settings to overcome that.  The nVidia devices in
> > Harmony will only allow you a few buttons to work on the remote - this
> way,
> > they all do and you can assign them any way you like as usual.
>
> The preferred way to handle this is to configure the Shield as an
> Nvidia Shield/Gaming Console initially.  Then add a Windows Keyboard
> device and include it in the Shield activity.  When customizing the
> remote buttons, you can choose between native, Shield actions and
> keyboard actions.

I have always mapped "menu" to, well, "menu" in MythTV.  Since the menu key
is hard programmed to the circle with the Shield profile, I cannot have
that :)

I have yet to find what key is actually the circle so I can remap it to
"Home", but I will when I get some more time this weekend and all will be
right as rain. All the other shield keys are standard (and I am sure the
circle is as well).

> Note that you only need one keyboard configured per hub.  Just include
> it in any activity that needs it.  For example, on one of my hubs, I
> have a Shield, FireTV Stick 4k and a ChromeBox and have the same
> keyboard device included in each device activity.  The keyboard
> actions always get sent to whatever bluetooth device you are connected
> to.

I am not sure what you mean here.  How can the single hub talk BT to any
device just by being included in it's activity?  They must be paired
individually.  I currently have my Hub paired with my linux frontend,
Windows10 Surface Book Pro and my Shield.  Of course they all show the
Harmony Keyboard entry, but it is in fact connected to them all separately
and simultaneously.  Care to explain more what you described?

Thanks!

-Greg