[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Dec 26 22:46:58 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 04:16:24PM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 4:02 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > Note that you only need one keyboard configured per hub.  Just include
> > it in any activity that needs it.  For example, on one of my hubs, I
> > have a Shield, FireTV Stick 4k and a ChromeBox and have the same
> > keyboard device included in each device activity.  The keyboard
> > actions always get sent to whatever bluetooth device you are connected
> > to.
>
> I am not sure what you mean here.  How can the single hub talk BT to any
> device just by being included in it's activity?  They must be paired
> individually.  I currently have my Hub paired with my linux frontend,
> Windows10 Surface Book Pro and my Shield.  Of course they all show the
> Harmony Keyboard entry, but it is in fact connected to them all separately
> and simultaneously.  Care to explain more what you described?

You still have to pair the hub with each, "main", device.  For
example, my hub is individually paired with my Shield, Stick and
ChrhomeBox.  The keyboard does not need to be paired and, in fact,
can't be paired with anything.  It just auto-magically works with
whatever, paired device is currently connected.  When I press a button
bound to a keyboard action while my Shield activity is active, they
key gets sent to the shield.  If I switch to the Stick activity, the
key gets send to the Stick.  The same goes for the ChromeBox.

As I understand it, that's how Logitech designed it to handle cases
where the basic, device profile/remote has limited key/button support
but is actually capable of supporting full keyboards.  That way they
only have to define one (really two when you include Mac too), generic
keyboard device instead of defining all of the same keys over and over
for every other device.

David
--
David Engel