[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Dec 26 22:01:22 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 08:47:54AM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> Also, if you have a Harmony remote and hub, the keys are much better (you
> get the a-z keyboard keys in the harmony app) if you set it up as a Windows
> PC rather than a nVidia Shield device.  This of course will keep the power
> command from working, but you can set the shield to go to sleep after
> inactivity in it's settings to overcome that.  The nVidia devices in
> Harmony will only allow you a few buttons to work on the remote - this way,
> they all do and you can assign them any way you like as usual.

The preferred way to handle this is to configure the Shield as an
Nvidia Shield/Gaming Console initially.  Then add a Windows Keyboard
device and include it in the Shield activity.  When customizing the
remote buttons, you can choose between native, Shield actions and
keyboard actions.

Note that you only need one keyboard configured per hub.  Just include
it in any activity that needs it.  For example, on one of my hubs, I
have a Shield, FireTV Stick 4k and a ChromeBox and have the same
keyboard device included in each device activity.  The keyboard
actions always get sent to whatever bluetooth device you are connected
to.

David
--
David Engel