[mythtv-users] XMAS 1.9 theme memory leak?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Dec 16 11:30:06 UTC 2018

On 13/12/2018 04:46, marcus hall wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 05:21:16PM +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> It is not systemd that runs and restarts mythfrontend.  ...
> Actually, I have built a systemd unit file that runs mythfrontend, so on
> this system, it does.  I run directly under the X server, no window manager
> involved.  Mostly because this is a dedicated system running into my
> AV switcher and then into the TV.
>
> It turns out that the 1.8 XMAS seems to be overwritten when I updated to the
> 1.9 version, so I can't just back up to the older version for testing.  But
> I was running it for several days without any issue.  I have switched back
> to the non-XMAS theme, and the system is running fine for most of the day.
> It took only the morning to run out of swap space, so this looks like the
> problem..  I will swap back to the 1.9 XMAS theme shortly to re-verify that
> this stimulates the problem.
>
> I could try it on a different system, but this is the only one I run in wide
> mode and keep running for extended time..
>
> marcus hall
> marcus at tuells.org

Sorry meant to send this to the list not just Marcus.

Has you can see from the change log bottom of the screen here :-

https://github.com/paul-h/MythCenterXMAS-wide

There wasn't a lot of changes between 1.8 and 1.9 so hard to see why you
are having problems. The only thing that may be causing a problem is the
animated gif added to the popup menu but I have the theme on various
systems and haven't seen any problems.

The Christmas themes are a little more memory hungry than most themes
simply because they have a lot of background images, I keep adding more
each year which doesn't help  , but what should happen is the image
memory cache with fill up to a limit, about 70Mb if I recall correctly,
and then will swap out old images to disk when the cache is full.

If you really want you can still download 1.8 from here

https://github.com/paul-h/MythCenterXMAS-wide/tree/d064183937efaf0ef6c8f16e90c5eb28a3f2a1a5

Click on 'Clone or Download' and download the zip. You can then replace
the 1.9 version in ~/.mythtv/themes with this version.

--

Paul H.