[mythtv-users] XMAS 1.9 theme memory leak?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Dec 13 07:55:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 21:46:22 -0700, you wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 05:21:16PM +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> It is not systemd that runs and restarts mythfrontend.  ...
>
>Actually, I have built a systemd unit file that runs mythfrontend, so on
>this system, it does.  I run directly under the X server, no window manager
>involved.  Mostly because this is a dedicated system running into my
>AV switcher and then into the TV.

That sounds like an interesting setup.

>It turns out that the 1.8 XMAS seems to be overwritten when I updated to the
>1.9 version, so I can't just back up to the older version for testing.  But
>I was running it for several days without any issue.  I have switched back
>to the non-XMAS theme, and the system is running fine for most of the day.
>It took only the morning to run out of swap space, so this looks like the
>problem..  I will swap back to the 1.9 XMAS theme shortly to re-verify that
>this stimulates the problem.
>
>I could try it on a different system, but this is the only one I run in wide
>mode and keep running for extended time..

The theme can only be the trigger for a problem that is actually in
the code that implements themes.  There was a longstanding memory
problem that was fixed a few weeks ago, so make sure you have the
latest v29-fixes installed to get that fix.  If you are still on 0.28,
I am not sure if that will have the fix.  If you are already on the
fixed version, then it would be good if it was possible to work out
what theme item was triggering this problem.