[mythtv-users] Upgrading from MythBuntu 14.04 to 16.04 - Potential issues?

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:59:54 UTC 2018

On 11/21/18 12:26 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
> For anybody who has gone from 14.04 to 16.04 recently (or remembers that
> it took), is there a list of gotchas or other things that may not go as
> expected?   Perhaps obviously, I'll be starting with creating a full OS
> backup, and I'll plan to stick with 0.28 until I'm comfortable that
> 16.04 is working well.

I took the plunge today, and it was a lot easier than I had expected.
It didn't take much more than just ensuring that I had enough space
available on my OS disk (I think I had 5GB available, and it maybe went
as low as 2GB free during the upgrade) and running sudo
do-release-upgrade.    The issues that I ran into were:

1) And the end of do-release-upgrade, it complained about not being able
to successfully upgrade mysql-server.   I had a deprecated config option
specified in /etc/mysql/my.cnf, which I had manually entered at a point
where I was attempting to optimize the performance of my anemic prior
ION system.   Commenting it out ended up mentioning another config
option that newer mysql didn't like.  It ended up being an iterative
process, which required commenting out lines in both /etc/mysql/my.cnf
as well as /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf

2) After rebooting into 16.04, loading mythweb reported the error:
Fatal Error
!!NoTrans: You are missing a php extension for mysql interaction. Please
install php-mysqli or similar!!
Sure enough, the fix was as simple as sudo apt install php-mysqli and
doing a sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

3) My infrared remote receiver wasn't working properly in 16.04.  After
a bit of troubleshooting, I realized that I needed two changes in my
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf file
 a) With Ubuntu 16.04, this file now defaults to specifying
'START_LIRCD="false"'.   Why, I have no clue.  What's the point of
installing lirc if it's disabled by default?
 b) I had to change REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0" to
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc1".   Why the former device /dev/lirc0 under
14.04 is now /dev/lirc1, I have no idea.

Any way, after those three fixes, the system appears to be up and
running just fine as far as I can tell so far!

-WD