[mythtv-users] Amazon fire stick 4K

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:37:15 UTC 2018

On 13/12/2018 18:52, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 12/11/18 8:13 AM, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> I have heard that interlaced h264 may be a problem. We do not have
>>> that here, so I have not done much testing of it.
>>
>> I have run some tests and put a 17 second sample here.  There is some
>> interlace activity.
>>
>> https://www.mediafire.com/file/721ym2d1yftgfnd/firestick_test_h264.txt/file
>>

>> https://www.mediafire.com/file/d8qgxxg87a1q4ca/firestick_test_h264.ts/file
>>

>> John

> If you have interlaced h264 I recommend that you update your video
> playback profile to use software decode for h264. You can just type
> "mpeg2video h264" to select both in a profile entry.
>
> Peter

Yes, thanks; that's what I'm using, and it works well.  It seems that
the broadcasts often switch back and forth between progressive and
interleaved in the same programme, like with station idents being
different from the main content.

I tried playing the clip in VLC dbug mode with vdpau in Fedora 28.  At
the time of the hang (with the people on the bridge just above the A in
the caption) it reported

deinterlace debug: unsupported chroma VDV0

Shortly before that it had detected interlaced video, and shortly after
it detected progressive again.

I'm not clear if the buggy code is in hardware, fixed for ever, or
firmware with a chance of an update.  But software decoding is giving me
good results with DVB-T/T2 "Freeview UK" content.   And I see the US
version is now at 2 for $60.  Amazon wants those pings.