[mythtv-users] Upgrading from MythBuntu 14.04 to 16.04 - Potential issues?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 21:53:27 UTC 2018

> 3) My infrared remote receiver wasn't working properly in 16.04.  After
> a bit of troubleshooting, I realized that I needed two changes in my
> /etc/lirc/hardware.conf file
>  a) With Ubuntu 16.04, this file now defaults to specifying
> 'START_LIRCD="false"'.   Why, I have no clue.  What's the point of
> installing lirc if it's disabled by default?
>  b) I had to change REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0" to
> REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc1".   Why the former device /dev/lirc0 under
> 14.04 is now /dev/lirc1, I have no idea.

Some people might think it's a blessing to have lirc disabled :) I've
recently moved from lirc to using ir-keytable which seems to be easier once
you get your head around the notion that lirc can be totally purged from
the system and yet an infrared remote control can still control mythtv.
Problem is there's a lot of guides out there that get you part way through
the solution but seem to omit key bits. Anyway, I got it up and running at
the weekend and I'm happy with it and it was relatively straightforward.