[mythtv-users] nvidia conflict with nouveau drivers [SOLVED]

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 16:23:57 UTC 2018

Ashu - nVidia ION conflict with nouveau drivers

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21/04/18 19:58, Ashu Desai wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 8:21 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 21/04/18 00:12, Ashu Desai wrote:
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 5:06 PM John Pilkington
> >     <johnpilk222 at gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>
> >      > <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>>>
> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >     On 20/04/18 21:42, Ashu Desai wrote:
> >      >      >
> >      >      >
> >      >      > On Thu, Apr 19, 2018, 1:39 PM John Pilkington
> >      >     <johnpilk222 at gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>
> >     <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>>
> >      >      > <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com> <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>>>> wrote:
> >      >      >
> >      >      >     Still trying to get used to gmail with ipop.  Deleted
> >     message
> >      >      >     instead of
> >      >      >     replying.
> >      >      >
> >      >      >     Installing the nVidia drivers can be confusing.
> Here's a
> >      >     fairly recent
> >      >      >     howto
> >      >      >
> >      >      > https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
> >      >      >
> >      >      >     John
> >      >      >
> >      >      >
> >      >      >   This is the 2nd time in as many days that I am doing a
> full
> >      >     install of
> >      >      > centOS - every time I install the nvidia drivers, somehow
> >     my network
> >      >      > fails to load up. no matter what I do my network fails
> >     saying LSB
> >      >     failed.
> >      >      >
> >      >      > Full new install (twice) and all I did was: yum install
> >      >     xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
> >      >      >
> >      >     Perhasps I have to apologise for this.  Google doesn't appear
> >      >     support
> >      >     my assumption that an nVidia driver is required for an Atom.
> >     Sorry.
> >      >
> >      >

> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Atom-Processor-230-512K-Cache-1-60-GHz
> .
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > well I did use vdpau and with my older ion I believe I need out
> >     for a
> >      > good playback, don't I?
> >      >
> >      > I am unable to open the link you have here so my apologies, not
> sure
> [...]

I wanted to say thank you to all that helped me out over last couple weeks.
I though I would do a quick bullet points of what I did to fix my issue. To
summarize - my new CentOS install would immediately disable my network
drivers. These are what i did to solve it:

   - yum install nvidia-detect.x86_64
                     # I found out that rather than installing the latest -
   this way works MUCH better
   - yum install $(nvidia-detect)
   - lspci | grep VGA
   - lspci
   - reboot
   - rpm -Uvh kmod-forcedeth-0.64-3.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
   # I used to install the kmod-forcedeth-0.64-1 but apparently for the IONs
   it needed the  kmod-forcedeth-0.64-3
   - reboot
   - rpm -Uvh Downloads/elrepo-release-7.0-3.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
   - yum update
   - yum install mythtv