[mythtv-users] nvidia conflict with nouveau drivers [SOLVED]

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 21:25:31 UTC 2018

On 28/04/18 17:23, Ashu Desai wrote:
> Ashu - nVidia ION conflict with nouveau drivers

> I wanted to say thank you to all that helped me out over last couple
> weeks. I though I would do a quick bullet points of what I did to fix my
> issue. To summarize - my new CentOS install would immediately disable my
> network drivers. These are what i did to solve it:
>
>   * yum install nvidia-detect.x86_64
>                          # I found out that rather than installing the
>     latest - this way works MUCH better
>   * yum install $(nvidia-detect)
>   * lspci | grep VGA
>   * lspci
>   * reboot
>   * rpm -Uvh kmod-forcedeth-0.64-3.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>        # I used to install the kmod-forcedeth-0.64-1 but apparently for
>     the IONs it needed the kmod-forcedeth-0.64-3
>   * reboot
>   * rpm -Uvh Downloads/elrepo-release-7.0-3.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
>   * yum update
>   * yum install mythtv

It's good to see this summary of stuff that got obscured in a knotted
thread in which most of the first-reported symptoms turned out to be
misleading.

In fact nvidia-detect and kmod-forcedeth are both from elrepo. AIUI the
first detects and identifies your nvidia video hardware and selects its
appropriate nvidia driver from those built by elrepo, and the second
compensates for the dropping of support for the nvidia network hardware
from the default CentOS/el7 kernel.  So updating or installing
elrepo-release first, and then the other two, would be simpler.

Glad to hear it's (mostly) working. :-)

John