[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:00:52 UTC 2018

Ashu - HDMI vs IEC issue

>> >2. Audio - I think I need to choose HDMI but if i do that - TrueHD
>> doesn't
>> >work. If I select iecxxxx- I think DTS-HD won't work - not sure. But the
>> >real part - wrong speakers light up when doing the test.
>>
>> HDMI can be limited as to what it will pass through.  If your TV does
>> not do TrueHD, then it is unlikely an HDMI connection to your TV will
>> do TrueHD as the TV will not pass it through.  If the HDMI goes to
>> your receiver/amp then maybe it will work.
>>

> My HDMI is going out to my Denon receiver - Somehow if I set this to
> iecxxx - I can hear the TrueHD movies. If I have HDMI - no sound. Not sure
> why.
>

>> >Someone suggested correcting it in asound.conf - but that's empty. I
>> think
>> >I need to edit that one with the correct layout. I haven't looked at the
>> >sample asound.conf but now I am on to that.
>>
>> Check your old Ion setup to see if it has an asound.conf file.  If
>> not, then this mailing list has had posts about this exact problem
>> several times, so if you can find them there will be examples of what
>> to put in /etc/asound.conf.  ALSA is a pain to set up - it is much
>> better if you have an example to work from.
>>

> I saw this post here for the wrong speaker piece for Zotac:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tutorial
>
> That fixed it (however TrueHD only works if i select IEC option on audio
> card) - i understand this was more for which channel to which speaker

This still doesn't work - if I select HDMI then any movie with TrueHD gets
no sound. If I select iec95XXX - i get the sound ok.

One can say just leave it if it's working this way but I just want to
figure out what is causing the HDMI to not work the way it should. I don't
want other stuff building off what is a minor (non) issue here plus a good
thing to learn for me...

Thank you...