[mythtv-users] Frontend hardware: VDPAU or VAAPI?

Steve Greene sgreene59 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 18 21:38:12 UTC 2016

The NUC5CPYH is $126.26 brand new on Amazon today. I bough the NUC5PPYH
(the 4-core Pentium version) for a little over $160. Used ION's now call
for a "legacy" driver, which is a little too dicey for my taste. Ubuntu
Drive Manager was offering later drivers that didn't support the device, in
addition to the one "legacy" version. A driver update to the legacy edition
from a couple of weeks ago killed my frontend until I rolled back to the
previous version.

The one thing I'm not loving about the Intel chipsets is that the video
seems a little lessy contrasty and a little softer, as well as possibly a
little warmer than the same video from the ION. Not sure what is going on
there, I'll be doing a little research over the weekend.

Steve