[mythtv-users] No ALSA audio in MythTV

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Sat Jan 30 19:20:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-29 at 23:19 -0500, David Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I've run into a new issue on my newest MythTV box.  This is on Debian
> Linux 8 (64-bit), with MythTV compiled using the default options.  The
> PC has a DisplayPort output capable of audio, but ALSA doesn't seem to
> see it.  So I've been trying to fall back to the analog audio output

<snip>

> The headphone/speaker output of the PC is connected to the audio input
> of the TV.  When I use speaker-test, I get test sounds from the TV
> speakers.  However, no matter what I enter as the audio output in
> MythTV (Setup > Audio) I get an error saying the specified output "is
> invalid and can not be used."  I have tried:

<snip>

> No matter what I do, MythTV says the specified output is invalid.  But
> speaker-test shows that ALSA does indeed work.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>

> Also, any thoughts on the DisplayPort issue would be greatly
> appreciated, too, although it's not too important if I can get the
> analog output working.
>

>     Thanks!
>     Dave
> ___________________

Instead of trying to find the correct incantation just use the FE audio
setup rescan & then just pick from the drop-down box.. If it is not
listed then it not likely to work.
MythTV audio setup also has a 'speaker-test' feature.
Is the mythtv BE user "mythtv" a member of the audio group?
Do FE logs show any clues when running audio setup tool?

If the DP audio codec is missing then could be kernel or video driver.
The alsa website has a useful "alsainfo.sh" script.
Does the radeon driver still need a kernel boot option for HDMI/DVI/DP
audio ?