[mythtv-users] No ALSA audio in MythTV

David Parker parker.david.a at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 04:19:29 UTC 2016

Hello,

I've run into a new issue on my newest MythTV box.  This is on Debian Linux
8 (64-bit), with MythTV compiled using the default options.  The PC has a
DisplayPort output capable of audio, but ALSA doesn't seem to see it.  So
I've been trying to fall back to the analog audio output (like I used to
use with my old PVR-350 setup), but I can't get that to work either.

Alsa shows the following devices:

# aplay -L
null
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
equal
default:CARD=SB
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=SB
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
dmix:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions

The headphone/speaker output of the PC is connected to the audio input of
the TV.  When I use speaker-test, I get test sounds from the TV speakers.
However, no matter what I enter as the audio output in MythTV (Setup >
Audio) I get an error saying the specified output "is invalid and can not
be used."  I have tried:

ALSA:default
ALSA:front
ALSA:default:CARD=SB
ALSA:default:CARD=SB,DEV=0
ALSA:front:CARD=SB
ALSA:front:CARD=SB,DEV=0

No matter what I do, MythTV says the specified output is invalid.  But
speaker-test shows that ALSA does indeed work.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on the DisplayPort issue would be greatly appreciated,
too, although it's not too important if I can get the analog output working.

    Thanks!
    Dave