[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios QIP7100 2 occasionally turns itself off, 6200ch always thinks it's on

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 20:19:34 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Does anybody have an idea of what might cause the QIP7100 to
> occasionally turn off?   Sleep mode is disabled in the STB settings.

Rumor has been that if a firmware update happens (or is requested
to happen, even if there is no new firmware to install), it can reboot
to off mode.  I suppose you could try to validate that by comparing
the firmware levels of all the various modules before and after one of
the power offs (I think you have to get into one of the "hidden" menus
to see the various module firmware levels).

> 2) Does anybody know why 6200ch is always reporting that the box is on,
> when all other evidence indicates otherwise.

Perhaps it is reporting if the firewire port has power (and it clearly
does), and not whether the screen is on?  These STBs are never
really fully off, just in low power mode(s).  Firewire is always an
afterthought with STBs, and what you want is not necessarily
what the provider cares about (which is limited to meeting the
FCC requirements of having a firewire port on the device).

There have been other discussions (and contributions of code)
about testing for a blank image to determine if the box is really
on or off, and whether to issue the power toggle.  Check the
archives.

In some areas FiOS is now offering a different box (a Cisco
rather than a Moto box), which almost certainly has a different
set of failure modes.  The grass is always greener elsewhere.
And just to be sure, when you said "QIP7100 2", you means
the P2 variant, right?  The original QIP7100 was (mostly) phased
out, so FiOS would nominally replace it with (at least) a P2 model
should you ask for a replacement.