[mythtv-users] Upgrade path for Mythbuntu 14.04?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 11:21:11 UTC 2016

Hoi Karl,

> On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 12/23/16 9:26 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
 >> Just a little plug here: I use Gentoo and have been able to continuously
 >> update it since I first installed it in 2005.
>
>  When I first set up MythTV in 2003, it was on a Gentoo host.
>
>  Given that it was mostly like an appliance, I didn't really keep on top
>  of updates for everything.  Until there was one update that I needed (it
>  was in a service that was exposed to the internet at the time).    And
>  that package update needed another dependency to be updated, which
>  needed a new glibc, which needed a new gcc, which needed me to recompile
>  my kernel and every other package on the system.   On a single-core
>  celeron.   That was when I moved on.
>
>  Even in a VM with a bare minimum of software installed, I've found that
>  keeping things up to date requires a special voodoo dance and spare time
>  to troubleshoot why the last install resulted in a merge conflict. But
>  being in a VM, I could instantly restore back to my snapshot and try
>  again (and again...).
>
>  In my opinion, Gentoo takes a certain amount of dedication and desire to
>  continue to tinker with the system for indefinite amounts of time.
>  Beyond what Linux in general requires, that is.

> That's probably true to some degree, but Gentoo allows you to
> spread the upgrade pain over time and deal with the package changes
> one at a time. This normally minimizes major down time and I don't
> have to find a big gap in my schedule for upgrading. Conflicts (that
> is, ones which have to be resolved manually) have gotten much rarer
> over the years as portage has improved. But, that's why it's good
> that there's a lot of distros to choose from--pick whichever one
> minimizes your particular pain points.

> Karl

Ah, and if you do not do any upgrade in more then 6 month, it indeed
will be difficult to get the system up-to-date again. But over time
you recognize the kind of conflicts and how to deal with them, using
perl-cleaner and other tools or simply forcing rebuilds by temporarily
removing version conflicted packages and running with
@preserved-rebuild afterwards. I have most put in scripts I run on the
background, only now and then checking them.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop