[mythtv-users] Upgrading Debian Jessie Mythtv from 0.27 to 0.28

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 1 14:54:14 UTC 2016

On 08/01/2016 04:26 AM, Robin Gilks wrote:
> I suppose I could just wildly use "dpkg -i" on all the files except that
> some are duplicates depending on the type of install and there is no
> indication on whether i have to manually un-install 0.27 first.

This is what I used to do. Create a private repository and put all the
deb files in it

Create private repository:

sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev
sudo mkdir -p /var/opt/mythtv/packages
sudo chgrp mythtv /var/opt/mythtv/packages
sudo chmod g+w /var/opt/mythtv/packages
cp *.deb /var/opt/mythtv/packages
chgrp mythtv /var/opt/mythtv/packages/*
cd /var/opt/mythtv/packages
dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz

add the line
deb file:/var/opt/mythtv/packages ./
to your /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo apt-get update

Then you can install whichever package you normally install, mythtv or
mythtv-backend, mythtv-frontend, etc:

sudo apt-get install mythtv

It will automatically sort out the dependencies from the packages in
your private repository. NOTE during install (and maybe also during the
apt-get update) it will complain about an unsigned repository. You have
to tell it to continue and ignore the error.

You should not need to uninstall the previous version.

These days I build my own package, mythtv-light, which conveniently puts
everything in one package.

Peter