[mythtv-users] Upgrading Debian Jessie Mythtv from 0.27 to 0.28

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Aug 2 11:44:15 UTC 2016

> On 08/01/2016 04:26 AM, Robin Gilks wrote:
>> I suppose I could just wildly use "dpkg -i" on all the files except that
>> some are duplicates depending on the type of install and there is no
>> indication on whether i have to manually un-install 0.27 first.
>
> This is what I used to do. Create a private repository and put all the
> deb files in it
>
> Create private repository:
>
> sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev
> sudo mkdir -p /var/opt/mythtv/packages
> sudo chgrp mythtv /var/opt/mythtv/packages
> sudo chmod g+w /var/opt/mythtv/packages
> cp *.deb /var/opt/mythtv/packages
> chgrp mythtv /var/opt/mythtv/packages/*
> cd /var/opt/mythtv/packages
> dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz
>
> add the line
> deb file:/var/opt/mythtv/packages ./
> to your /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> Then you can install whichever package you normally install, mythtv or
> mythtv-backend, mythtv-frontend, etc:
>
> sudo apt-get install mythtv
>
> It will automatically sort out the dependencies from the packages in
> your private repository. NOTE during install (and maybe also during the
> apt-get update) it will complain about an unsigned repository. You have
> to tell it to continue and ignore the error.

Well it sort of works a bit...

Having followed these very clear instructions (thank you Peter) I now see
mythbackend-master, libmyth-python, mythtv-dbg and libmyth at the new
versions but not the frontend or the plugins.

All the files appear to be in the Packages file OK, (I've attached it for
diagnostic purposes) but something isn't quite right!!

I've held kernel packages (I'm running a patched kernel for TBS tuner
cards) but nothing else.

--
Robin Gilks