[mythtv-users] 0.28 or port external recorder?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 15:36:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 6:21 PM eric <bernhart2002 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all, I was wondering if it is possible to port the external
> recorder option to .27? If not what is the status of 0.28? Is it stable
> enough for use? I checked the trac and there doesn't appear to be any
> major or blocker issues that would affect my WAF, but trac doesn't
> always give a good idea of that.
>
> Sorry if this seems pushy and I know 0.28 will be done when its done and
> upgrading now comes with certain risks , however my hdpvr 1 life is
> coming to a end soon and I have a hdpvr2 that I'd like to use. I know
> there is no default support for the hdpvr2 however I think I can write
> the scripts to make it work.
> I'd just like to minimize the risk of a system melt down at 6 in the
> morning while my kid is watching my little pony
> Any advice is welcome
> Eric

Backporting the ExternalRecorder stuff is possible.  It does not make any
schema changes, so would not break anything.  It is a little larger change
than we normally like to backport, but I could probably do it.

I have been thinking about the HD-PVR2 situation.  The ExternalRecorder API
would need to be extended to fully support the functionality of the
HD-PVR2, and I do plan on making those API changes.  I have limited time to
work on it, though, so it will probably be at least a month before I can
get that finished.

John