[mythtv-users] Optimum Cable Copy Once creep

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:26:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
> As Gary pointed out ....

Actually, I was stealing from Mr. Berra.

As for the future of CableCARDs, most of the forward looking
MSOs are looking towards pure IP delivery "eventually"
(and CCAP is the technology which will get them there).
The FCC (including the DSTAC process) is trying to
determine what comes next for meeting the needs of
protection (by the copyright owners) and accessibility
(by the consumers). It is expected that the (eventual)
rules will be applied to all providers (cable, IPTV, satellite)
and level the playing field somewhat. As each type of provider
starts with a different delivery process, it seems likely that
for at least some providers there will need to be intermediate
boxes (call them gateways, or receivers, or STBs, or whatever
you like) that will translate what the provider delivers to this
(theoretical) provider neutral format. I would recommend reading
the DSTAC report for those that want a much better understand
of where they are now in the process. Be aware it is a standard
beltway speak report. If you do not speak beltway you may not
understand the entire purpose of some parts of the document.

In any case, the "eventually" time-frame will vary widely
between the MSOs.