[mythtv-users] Some of my pay channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime) now work in Myth. SD only

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Oct 13 20:53:30 UTC 2015

On 13/10/15 21:45, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
>>> For the two year period prior to switching to a CableCard tuner only
>> setup,
>>> I could tell the difference. The HDPVR recordings were softer and
>> slightly
>>> muddy. I did side-by-side tests with my cable box to confirm my
>>> observations.
>>
>> Do you mean that you did side by side comparisons of
>> STB->HDPVR->MythTV->TV vs. STB->TV or were you comparing HDPVR
>> recordings with HDHR recordings?
>>

> The first, STB->HDPVR->MythTV->TV vs. STB->TV, but they should yield
> identical results as the CableCard tuners do not alter the video stream. I
> would record the video out of the Comcast DVR with the HDPVR and pause the
> Comcast DVR. Then I could switch inputs on the TV and flip back and forth
> between the two. Not a scientific method, but the best I could do. This is
> also from memory of a test I ran 2-3 years ago. My memory is a little fuzzy.

Sure, the digital stream is going to be identical, but the post-processing is where the difference
will be. Your STB has to turn that stream into a picture and so does the mythtv player.

In my experience, the mythtv player does a far better job of it than the STB ever could. Of course,
that all depends on your STB, your video card and your TV, all things that we can guarantee are
different between any two viewers.

--

Mike Perkins