[mythtv-users] Some of my pay channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime) now work in Myth. SD only

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Tue Oct 13 20:45:10 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
> > For the two year period prior to switching to a CableCard tuner only
> setup,
> > I could tell the difference. The HDPVR recordings were softer and
> slightly
> > muddy. I did side-by-side tests with my cable box to confirm my
> > observations.
>
> Do you mean that you did side by side comparisons of
> STB->HDPVR->MythTV->TV vs. STB->TV or were you comparing HDPVR
> recordings with HDHR recordings?
>
> Eric

The first, STB->HDPVR->MythTV->TV vs. STB->TV, but they should yield
identical results as the CableCard tuners do not alter the video stream. I
would record the video out of the Comcast DVR with the HDPVR and pause the
Comcast DVR. Then I could switch inputs on the TV and flip back and forth
between the two. Not a scientific method, but the best I could do. This is
also from memory of a test I ran 2-3 years ago. My memory is a little fuzzy.

-Tom