[mythtv-users] OT: Samba (?) Issue

Bert Haskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Fri Oct 9 14:01:22 UTC 2015

On 10/7/2015 12:11 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 10/7/2015 8:16 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> This sounds like a wins problem. Wins is since ancient times used by
>>> Microsoft for the browselists and still uses the netbios protocol.
>>> Although encapsulated in tcp-ip. Samba runs a wins server, but every
>>> ms windows machine also keeps a list. This means that a misbehaving
>>> machine can make it not work. Samba keeps the browselist in a text
>>> file: /var/lib/samba/wins.dat.
>>> If there are problems you have to shutdown all windows machines,
>>> delete the above mentioned file and then bring up samba, wait a few
>>> minutes and hope that the misbehaving machine listens to the wins
>>> server on samba. There are also ways to clear the browselist on the
>>> windows machines. The problem is that they all the time copy from each
>>> other.
>> Oh, and make sure the samba server is the masterbrowser, not the
>> Windows machine. Also make sure that the Windows machine uses the
>> sambaserver as wins server!
>>

> Yeah, I did erase the cache directory and reinstall Samba. That would
> have allowed wins.dat to be recreated.
>
> As for being the master browser, these settings help:
>
>     local master = yes
>     os level = 65
>     preferred master = yes
>
> "os level" sets an election preference value when a master election is
> forced on the network. The higher value means your server should win
> the election.
After bringing up a new myth box (mythbuntu 14.04, backend/nas only,
HDHR Prime ) I have a mythtv backend that is largely invisible to both
windows and linux.
I can see "WORKGROUP" but nothing in it.
smb.conf seems to be OK and video and recordings are 777.

It does seem to be OK on Android apps
All off my apps can see an Asus server on my net with no problems.
BTW I can't find wins.dat on this box.
BTW2 I wish that there was a wiki entry on this problem.
I will volunteer to do the work if others will beta it for me.
Thanks,
   Bert