[mythtv-users] OT: Samba (?) Issue

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Oct 7 16:11:11 UTC 2015

On 10/7/2015 8:16 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> This sounds like a wins problem. Wins is since ancient times used by
>> Microsoft for the browselists and still uses the netbios protocol.
>> Although encapsulated in tcp-ip. Samba runs a wins server, but every
>> ms windows machine also keeps a list. This means that a misbehaving
>> machine can make it not work. Samba keeps the browselist in a text
>> file: /var/lib/samba/wins.dat.
>> If there are problems you have to shutdown all windows machines,
>> delete the above mentioned file and then bring up samba, wait a few
>> minutes and hope that the misbehaving machine listens to the wins
>> server on samba. There are also ways to clear the browselist on the
>> windows machines. The problem is that they all the time copy from each
>> other.
> Oh, and make sure the samba server is the masterbrowser, not the
> Windows machine. Also make sure that the Windows machine uses the
> sambaserver as wins server!

Yeah, I did erase the cache directory and reinstall Samba. That would
have allowed wins.dat to be recreated.

As for being the master browser, these settings help:

     local master = yes
     os level = 65
     preferred master = yes

"os level" sets an election preference value when a master election is
forced on the network. The higher value means your server should win the
election.