[mythtv-users] HD TV tuners, USB (UK)

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Mar 17 23:51:47 UTC 2015

On 17/03/15 23:01, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 17/03/15 22:30, Greg Cope wrote:

>>> guessing that's because my 2 Hauppauge USB tuners don't work with HD. I
>>> believe these are the ones I bought a couple of years ago ...
>>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000F8RPQE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
>>>

>>> Correct - they don't support DVB-T2

>>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T205-Freeview-Tuner-Stick/dp/B002EHVP9C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426339150&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+digital+tv+tuner+uk
>>>

>>> Also not T2
>>>

>>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T210-Television-Definition-Compatible/dp/B008D8K50Q/ref=pd_sim_computers_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=17FST3XRH42233TNZ4BQ
>>>

>>> Does T2 - but it is mentioned in the hardware wiki as having problems
>>> with
>>> T2
>>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_USB_Devices
>>>

>>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T202-Freeview-Tuner-Stick/dp/B00527OCT6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1426339150&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+digital+tv+tuner+uk
>>>

>>> Not mentioned at all in the Wiki
>>>
>> i have one of these;
>>
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004C1176E/ref=pe_217191_31005151_dp_1
>>
>> Which does HD, but I do not watch it much.
>>
> (Fixed top posting)
>
> I have a PC 290e, which works well. I understood there to be some driver
> problems with the PC 292e recently, I don't know if those have been
> resolved.
>
> In general: in the UK all the HD channels are transmitted on one
> multiplex (presently: that may change, of course). The modulation is
> DVB-T2, not DVB-T like the SD channels, and the recording format is h264
> not mpeg.

I have a PC 290e too, and results are good.

I'm afraid it's no longer true that all DVB-T2 HD in the UK arrives on
one mux.  In general I record in HD only when testing or, rarely, when I
think the subject might justify it, but here, with only one HD-capable
device, I can't record eg BBC 4HD or BBC News HD at the same time as any
of the other main HD channels.

...and my earlier comment about unplugging a USB device may need
mythbackend to be stopped too.