[mythtv-users] HD TV tuners, USB (UK)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 07:57:05 UTC 2015

John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> I'm afraid it's no longer true that all DVB-T2 HD in the UK arrives on one mux.  In general I record in HD only when testing or, rarely, when I think the subject might justify it, but here, with only one HD-capable device, I can't record eg BBC 4HD or BBC News HD at the same time as any of the other main HD channels.

That is true if you are on an extended Freeview HD (COM7 and COM8) transmitters  According to http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Winter_Hill those two channels are on mux Com7 which is T2, and carries :
63 Community Channel
71 Motors TV
106 BBC Four HD
107 BBC News HD
108 Al Jazeera HD
109 Community Channel HD
110 Channel 4+1 HD
111 4seven HD
124 CBeebies HD
134 Al Jazeera Arabic
Jewellery Maker
73 Daystar TV
136 Arise News

That mux is not available from all the "full service" transmitters, such as Lancaster where I get a better signal than Winter Hill (due to topography) http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Lancaster
About 1/2 way down it says :
> Are you trying to watch these 10 Freeview HD channels?
> If you want to watch these HD channels, either use Freesat HD, or move your TV aerial must point to one of the 30 Full Freeview HD transmitters. For more information see the want to know which transmitters will carry extra Freeview HD? page.

And there's links from there to some other pages.

And in "I was browsing the internet and came across this" mode, here's some great news for those of us "missing" the regular reshuffles
http://www.ukfree.tv/article/1107052455/Been_missing_the_Digital_Switchover_Good_news_Ther