[mythtv-users] HD TV tuners, USB (UK)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Mar 17 23:01:00 UTC 2015

On 17/03/15 22:30, Greg Cope wrote:
> On 17 March 2015 at 22:22, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I did a seach of the UK transports, but no HD channels turned up. I'm
>> guessing that's because my 2 Hauppauge USB tuners don't work with HD. I
>> believe these are the ones I bought a couple of years ago ...
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000F8RPQE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
>>
>> Correct - they don't support DVB-T2
>>
>>> I've seen these ...
>>>
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T205-Freeview-Tuner-Stick/dp/B002EHVP9C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426339150&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+digital+tv+tuner+uk
>>
>> Also not T2
>>

>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T210-Television-Definition-Compatible/dp/B008D8K50Q/ref=pd_sim_computers_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=17FST3XRH42233TNZ4BQ
>>
>> Does T2 - but it is mentioned in the hardware wiki as having problems with
>> T2
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_USB_Devices
>>

>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB-T202-Freeview-Tuner-Stick/dp/B00527OCT6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1426339150&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+digital+tv+tuner+uk
>>
>> Not mentioned at all in the Wiki
>>
> i have one of these;
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004C1176E/ref=pe_217191_31005151_dp_1
>
> Which does HD, but I do not watch it much.

(Fixed top posting)

I have a PC 290e, which works well. I understood there to be some driver
problems with the PC 292e recently, I don't know if those have been resolved.

In general: in the UK all the HD channels are transmitted on one multiplex
(presently: that may change, of course). The modulation is DVB-T2, not DVB-T
like the SD channels, and the recording format is h264 not mpeg.

You need one tuner which can find that multiplex and leave your other tuners to
access the SD multiplexes. Don't forget you'll need a separate source since the
range of channels each tuner type can tune will be different.

--

Mike Perkins