[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 27 11:03:00 UTC 2015

On 08/27/2015 05:46 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2015 11:43 PM, "John P Poet" wrote:
>>> Right.  I don't understand why everyone is so eager to fund a third
>>> party driver when Happauge has a sample app for recording under Linux
>>> right on their web site.
>>>
>>> http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html#tab-3
>>
>> Maybe because we want it to work reliably?
>>
>> I spent hours and hours working on myth to work-around issues with the
>> original HD-PVR.  If you are willing to do that for the HD-PVR2, then
>> great, I await your patches.
>>
> What's your logic here?  Because you and some other people have have had
> problems with the HD PVR 1, they must have been caused purely by a bad
> driver and therefore Hauppauge as a whole is incompetent and incapable of
> writing a driver for the HD PVR 2? A third party closed source driver is
> going to fix all the yet-to-be-observed problems with the HD PVR 2?

He actually read the thread and he trusts Devin's input since Devin has
actually worked on a good/stable driver for the HD-PVR2 that deals with
the edge cases (probably the same things that HD-PVR users have been
working around for years with things like the HD-PVR killer and user
scripts to detect whether the recording is actually working and setting
their STBs to do 720p output all the time, regardless of channel format
and ...).

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/588987#588987

Mike