[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:00:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:48 AM Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2015 11:43 PM, "John P Poet" <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 9:10 PM Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> >> Right.  I don't understand why everyone is so eager to fund a third
> >> party driver when Happauge has a sample app for recording under Linux
> >> right on their web site.
> >>
> >> http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html#tab-3
> >>
> >> Eric
> >

> > Maybe because we want it to work reliably?
> >
> > I spent hours and hours working on myth to work-around issues with the
> original HD-PVR.  If you are willing to do that for the HD-PVR2, then
> great, I await your patches.
>
> What's your logic here?  Because you and some other people have have had
> problems with the HD PVR 1, they must have been caused purely by a bad
> driver and therefore Hauppauge as a whole is incompetent and incapable of
> writing a driver for the HD PVR 2? A third party closed source driver is
> going to fix all the yet-to-be-observed problems with the HD PVR 2?

Actually, my HD-PVR1s work very well.  I have almost no problems with them
at all.  However, they are not made any more and nothing lasts forever.

My point is, that for the HD-PVR1, Hauppauge helped the linux community
write a Linux driver as soon as they released the product.  With the
HD-PVR2, Hauppage acted for a long time, like they had no interest in
supporting the Linux users.   As soon as they finally did show interest in
Linux, I reached out to them, and they basically blew me off -- I told them
I was a mythtv developer and wanted to get support in place, and they
couldn't care less.  I have followed up with them a few times over the last
nine months, and each time they just say "it is still in beta", and are not
interested in working with me.

John