[mythtv-users] Probably a dumb question..Myth History

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 11:21:56 UTC 2015

I wrote:

> That is indeed a problem - if the data changes then you get a new recording. That's a problem I have (UK Freeview) where stuff re-appears (years later in some cases) on (typically) a different network (eg originally on BBC, now on Dave) - but it comes with new descriptions etc.

There is another, but not too common, other issue. If there are two shows with the same metadata then they will be treated as the same. This is mostly an issue if the descriptions are just generic (ie just show title, no subtitle, no description or the same generic description for every show) which I have seen occasionally.
Sometimes this happens with "distant" data and gets fixed as the broadcasts get closer - but I have seen a series on one of our "repeats" channels where there was no episode identification whatsoever.

There isn't much you can do other than record everything (no duplicate detection) and just delete stuff you've already watched. This can take some disk space if there are multiple transmissions, and you don't watch stuff (and hence delete it) fairly quickly.