[mythtv-users] Probably a dumb question..Myth History

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 10:28:29 UTC 2015

Michael A Weber <mweberjunk01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The behavior I have always seen is that if it records it, it will not re-record it unless you select “delete and re-record” when you go to delete it.  That is, the episode is recorded if it has never been recorded or you want to record it again (say, in the event that the recording you have is cut short, your cable provider went south during the episode, etc).

This is set in the recording rule - you can ignore previously recorded episodes (ie re-record them) or select one of the duplicate matching options.

> The only other time is if something goes awry with the episode information, such as the episode ID being different or something like that.  I’m not exactly sure which criteria are checked, but something in the recording info is definitely compared to the guide information for the episode.

That is indeed a problem - if the data changes then you get a new recording. That's a problem I have (UK Freeview) where stuff re-appears (years later in some cases) on (typically) a different network (eg originally on BBC, now on Dave) - but it comes with new descriptions etc.