[mythtv-users] splitting analog coax

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 5 18:37:53 UTC 2015

On 08/05/2015 02:03 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 05, 2015 01:49:35 PM Joseph DeGraw wrote:
>> On 08/05/2015 01:41 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>>> My new MythTV box will have 2 PVR-500s, or so I hope. I will then need
>>> to split the coax from my cable provider into 3 feeds: 1 for my
>>> cablemodem and 2 for the 500s.
>>>
>>> Is it better for me to use 1 1:3 splitter or 2 1:2 splitters?
>> Use a single splitter. There will  be less signal loss with just one.
>>
>> Also, Depending on how many splitters you have besides that location you
>> may need to install a signal booster of some type if you have picture
>> quality issues.
>>
>> If those would be the only splitters in the whole house then I wouldnt
>> worry about it too much.
> Thanks. I'll only have the 3 outputs, all within 2 meters of the wall jack.
>
> I will be feeding 2 PVR-500s, each with its own internal splitter. Might it
> be worthwhile to amplify the -7dB inputs that the 500s will have from a 1:3
> splitter?

I wouldnt do anything but split the cable first and see how things go.
It all really depends on the quality of the signal you are getting from
the 'street'. It does seem to vary depending on the quality of the run
to your house.

Hook it up, See if you have any issues. If you do then an inexpensive
signal booster may be needed. However, i doubt it.

:)