[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Sep 16 20:08:22 UTC 2014

> desktop.
> >>
> >> MythTv may be an appliance to you, but to me it is an application that
> I use to watch LiveTV and record programming. When I am not watching LiveTv
> or recordings, I use a web browser to access Internet sites such as
> YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc., read email, play music, watch DVD's, and
> other such things that utilize audio.
> >

> > Then don't use xfce or mythbuntu
> >
> > That's what Nick was referring to. If you want a desktop that can also
> run mythtv, then using xfce is clearly not the best choice.
> >
> > You can of course start from mythbuntu default install and add some
> more.
> >
> > But don't complain that mythbuntu doesn't come with some widgets when it
> clearly wasn't designed to do that.
>
> I am not complaining. As I stated before, all I wanted to do was get
> MythTv running under Ubuntu 14.04, like I have in past versions of Ubuntu
> and MythTv. When I ran into trouble installing MythTv, under Ubuntu 14.04,
> I came to this forum and was advised to install Mythbuntu and then
> configure the Desktop the way I wanted. This is the first time I heard that
> Mythbuntu was not designed to have a Desktop that functions like the one in
> Ubuntu. There is even a setting, in the Applications menu, that let me
> install Ubuntu Desktop.
>
> I just assumed that the Mythbuntu 14.04 iso file I downloaded and
> installed was just Ubuntu with MythTv added.
>
> I never heard of XFCE before installing Mythbuntu, so I did not know it
> had limitations that Unity and Gnome did not.
>
> I am just trying to learn here, not stir up resentment.

If you want to use your system as a desktop, but retain the XFCE
environment, just install the xubuntu-desktop package (and dependencies).
 Or you can instaall the ubuntu-desktop package to convert your system to a
standard gnome desktop.

You will probably have to change which window manager your user will use
(gnome or xfce) at the logon screen.