[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 20:25:35 UTC 2014

References: <CABKMu9cDe74STz9oeMb3gMLrM3n+Unaxr-GEaVeKttyGeBcOqg at mail.gmail.com> <CALmzFLaVJtYREcbeNDsO1Sz-njc7oBZ3DT3RmkhmNKHCD2o1Bg at mail.gmail.com> <CABKMu9fZ+0Hti7w=vtXJ482P171hujGdn7ccEoSaabYvnhpXaQ at mail.gmail.com> <CABKMu9evZVtLJ9eQ_BbyzaAow0sBP+Qx3Ym_SrWzhc59_+T-mw at mail.gmail.com> <CAMtSsR1zdBxwhOAE4=sDjnBu=Fh2um4U5TcXiq7JZzxDzWFmiQ at mail.gmail.com> <54108647.1000501 at randomtraveller.org.uk> <CABKMu9c73XVg5TCXt0xiEFgF_-Zmf16Gcbduvo7=z1v25OuMtQ at mail.gmail.com> <CALmzFLbpvx4umEwda7SZk-V3bJWT=B=pXK=73_AQU7uWFuzXGg at mail.gmail.com> <CABKMu9euMMA0euMO_6zZxdSiRdJ=OwcFEmaXHXVfZraazjz-rw at mail.gmail.com> <op.xl3adn0yb49nse at compaq> <CABKMu9fx1yyDN177YJaCeyTO6k5WyCHNuE_uzOatz4+hvT7jMw at mail.gmail.com> <CABKMu9cmvArbNcLOtSs7Tmut2dh09j=vMvn-nObki6w1cX0r+w at mail.gmail.com> <CAMwtTBCbVbyY_z0KJ6+qZ+jhGO=Emn9JeFbUjs+WCBVrxoYzdg at mail.gmail.com> <CAF4tN+9stWbxG7ePSuufa0hRt-9F4C6bD84P6kEqytN4Y040QQ at mail.gmail.com> <CABKMu9exgQzoET7RTYPAt+5m7qHUv6mwz1_GRU-pPSHbd77O3g at mail.gmail.com> <CALmzFLb_Z6WJF52chixura-Ob58RQojNcx=C00FKJX7OxQjVqg at mail.gmail.com> <CABKMu9fwEnKEfPmnxNc-ZWFhyL=wPUw_zpex7Kfzf58AbxRGEQ at mail.gmail.com> <CANpj82+ypM+RW32s3hxmvCgvep6rSA6ukk2GYMcv25YMWOFjKg at mail.gmail.com> <CABKMu9cWdq_h6MW8urbXboDZTgjByBhhctmiEBZg3YNSuA6kEA at mail.gmail.com> <CAAJE3SuqSYhzDm3U0vA+3avroug3B1+Krk4FP2DfRSxFrON=BA at mail.gmail.com>

Hoi Joseph,

>>> MythTv may be an appliance to you, but to me it is an application that =
I use to watch LiveTV and record programming. When I am not watching LiveTv=
 or recordings, I use a web browser to access Internet sites such as YouTub=
e, Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc., read email, play music, watch DVD's, and other=
 such things that utilize audio.

>> Then don't use xfce or mythbuntu =C2=A0
>>
>> That's what Nick was referring to. If you want a desktop that can also r=
un mythtv, then using xfce is clearly not the best choice.=C2=A0

>> You can of course start from mythbuntu default install and add some more=
.=C2=A0

>> But don't complain that mythbuntu doesn't come with some widgets when it=
 clearly wasn't designed to do that.=C2=A0

> I am not complaining. As I stated before, all I wanted to do was
> get MythTv running under Ubuntu 14.04, like I have in past versions
> of Ubuntu and MythTv. When I ran into trouble installing MythTv,
> under Ubuntu 14.04, I came to this forum and was advised to install
> Mythbuntu and then configure the Desktop the way I wanted. This is
> the first time I heard that Mythbuntu was not designed to have a
> Desktop that functions like the one in Ubuntu. There is even a
> setting, in the Applications menu, that let me install Ubuntu Desktop.
> =20
> I just assumed that the Mythbuntu 14.04 iso file I downloaded and
> installed was just Ubuntu with MythTv added.=20
> =20
> I never heard of XFCE before installing Mythbuntu, so I did not
> know it had limitations that Unity and Gnome did not.
> =20
> I am just trying to learn here, not stir up resentment.
> =20

> If you want to use your system as a desktop, but retain the XFCE
> environment, just install the xubuntu-desktop package (and
> dependencies). =C2=A0Or you can instaall the ubuntu-desktop package to
> convert your system to a standard gnome desktop.

> You will probably have to change which window manager your user
> will use (gnome or xfce) at the logon screen.

Does mythbuntu use systemd or the old (and in my opinion nicer)
open-rc. Because if the later, you cannot easily step over to Gnome3.
Gnome3 demands systemd. An alternative is Mate, which in essence is
the old Gnome2.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven