[mythtv-users] New install, can't restore database with mythconverg_restore.pl - mysql access denied

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Wed Oct 8 22:30:08 UTC 2014

On 09/10/14 05:50, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 08/10/14 01:42 AM, Kingsley Turner wrote:
>> Hi-yas,
>>
>> I had so much trouble after a mythbuntu 12.04->14.04 update I've
>> re-installed.
>>
>> However I can't seem to get my database restored:
>>
>>     # mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database
>> --directory . --filename mythconverg-1317-20141008051044.sql.gz
>>     ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost'
>> (using password: YES)
>>     ERROR: Cannot write to mysql, stopped at
>> /home/kingsley/Bin/mythconverg_restore.pl line 1720, <BACKUP> line 793.
>>

> A couple of possible reasons:
>
> 1)  Do you have a line "127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain" in
> /etc/hosts?  Networking cannot find 'localhost' without that.
>
> 2)  This is a new install. Did you run the mc.sql script into mysql to
> create your mythtv user? (That's the script which you run as root mysql
> user starting with 'Grant all on .....'
>
> This is most likely candidate for this error.
>
> 3)   Can you get into mysql as the root user? On a new install mysql does
> not set a root password so 'mysql -u root -p<Enter> should work.
> If if does, then try 'use mysql;' then'Select hostname,user,password from
> user;' and you will see if you have a mythtv user with a password.
> If you cannot log in as root user, then;
>
> 4)  Last and most unlikely on a new install, check the the mysql folder
> has mysql:mysql as owner and group. Without that, the mysql server cannot
> 'talk' to the right place (or write to the right place!).

1) yes
2) I don't know - whatever mythbuntu does.  I assume it makes the DB properly.
3) I could not get into mysql as root
     Even when I reset the root password by restarting mysql manually with a
"startup script" (proper name?), I still could not log in as root.
4) I didn't check this at the time, and have since re-installed.

thanks for the help,
-Kingsley