[mythtv-users] New install, can't restore database with mythconverg_restore.pl - mysql access denied

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Oct 8 18:50:16 UTC 2014

On 08/10/14 01:42 AM, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> Hi-yas,
>
> I had so much trouble after a mythbuntu 12.04->14.04 update I've
> re-installed.
>
> However I can't seem to get my database restored:
>
>     # mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database
> --directory . --filename mythconverg-1317-20141008051044.sql.gz
>     ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost'
> (using password: YES)
>     ERROR: Cannot write to mysql, stopped at
> /home/kingsley/Bin/mythconverg_restore.pl line 1720, <BACKUP> line 793.

A couple of possible reasons:

1)  Do you have a line "127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain" in
/etc/hosts?  Networking cannot find 'localhost' without that.

2)  This is a new install. Did you run the mc.sql script into mysql to
create your mythtv user? (That's the script which you run as root mysql
user starting with 'Grant all on .....'

This is most likely candidate for this error.

3)   Can you get into mysql as the root user? On a new install mysql
does not set a root password so 'mysql -u root -p<Enter> should work.
If if does, then try 'use mysql;' then'Select hostname,user,password
from user;' and you will see if you have a mythtv user with a password.
If you cannot log in as root user, then;

4)  Last and most unlikely on a new install, check the the mysql folder
has mysql:mysql as owner and group. Without that, the mysql server
cannot 'talk' to the right place (or write to the right place!).

Geoff