[mythtv-users] [OT] Ugrading Mythbuntu 12.04 -> 14.04 "broke" my server hardware.

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Wed Oct 8 05:52:35 UTC 2014

G'day,

You may have noticed in a previous email that I was having troubles after
upgrading mythbuntu via "do-release-upgrade".
I chose to do this upgrade because I was having a couple of minor problems,
and guessed this might help.
One of them turned out to be a simple config problem.  *sigh*.

Anyway ...

After a word of pain after the upgrade, I backed up, and re-installed from a
mythbuntu 14.01.1 live disk.
However I encountered the same problems I had after the in-place upgrade,
notably: video corruption and lockups.
At the time I figured it was a nvidia driver version mismatch caused by some
incorrect bits left over after years of upgrading.

Not so it seems.

I saw the same problems, and lack of stability with the nouveau driver, the
latest mythbuntu-packaged nvidia driver, and the nvidia driver download from
nvidia.com.

I don't fn() get it.

This box was rock-solid stable before that upgrade, and now with high
activity, it can barely stay up for 10 minutes.
Surely this can't be a new kernel or suchlike ?!?

I'm starting to think that I managed to time a hardware failure in
coincidence with a software upgrade!
But surely not?  I don't know, it sure looks it.

Any sage advice ?
How do you even debug something like this.

I guess I'll fire off the grub memory checker (I did run it for 1/2 an hour
the other day).

cheers,

-kt