[mythtv-users] PCI-E Capture Card for Australia

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jun 25 22:40:33 UTC 2014

On 24/06/14 05:04 PM, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 24.06.2014 16:41, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>
>> PS. I am using an HVR2250 which exhibits this problem. It is race-type
>> condition where firmware loading takes too long to complete or the
>> modules do not wait for their dependency to be loaded.
>> It *is* a great PCI-E based tuner. It just needs some 'understanding'.
>>
>> No I did not get a T-shirt when I obtained 'understanding',
>
> Have you taken this issue to the developers of the driver over at
> LinuxTV? From Steven's blog it appears as if the driver has seen some
> polishing so it would be sad if there were unknown regressions.
>
> LinuxTV contact information http://linuxtv.org/lists.php
> Steven's posts http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?cat=39
>
> Regards,
> Karl

Yes, I have had some emails back and forth with Devin Heitmueller at
kernellabs.org almost 2 years ago. I see from the archive that at one
point he responded:
"
 > Wow, ok.  That is *not* what I was expecting to see in your dmesg
output. "

Since I found a work-around I have heard nothing further from him,
although I did send some debug-enabled dmesg outputs with a 'good' and a
'bad' reboot, to diff with.

I will further note that I have *NEVER EVER ANYWHERE* read of anyone
else having this problem. Not on Ubuntu lists nor Fedora lists.... But
it hits me about 95% of all reboots...

I do not know, offhand, the date of the modules at home, and I cannot
remember when I last updated it... iirc, it is running Fedora 17, while
everything else is on F20... maybe time for an upgrade.
G.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury