[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu or other distro?

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sun Jul 27 01:00:51 UTC 2014

On 27/07/2014 7:27 AM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt wrote:
> On 26/07/2014 1:07 PM, Per Hatlevik wrote:
>>
>>     I have one dedicated MBE, one dedicated FE, and a few
>>     multi-purpose machines on the network. While I've used Gentoo
>>     primarily in the past, at the moment most of my machines are
>>     running some form Debian (SID).
>>

>> if you're happy using debian then why not stick with that? just add
>> http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ to your sources and you get releases
>> of mythtv. all of my machines are running debian (testing, not
>> unstable but close) and it works quite well.
>>
>> peace,
>>
>> per hatlevik
> Valid question, and one that deserves a response. I find it takes a
> long time for new/updated packages to make their way into Debian.
> While I respect their reasoning, and I do find myself wanting more of
> an appliance versus tinkering all of the time, yet I still like to
> tinker at times. Yes, you can run testing/unstable but you will get
> breakage, quite often major breakage, when you update something. In my
> own experience, I've gotten to try out my backup system several times
> after doing do update on SID.
>
> I'm presuming that Mythbuntu, being based on Ubuntu, which traces its
> roots to Debian would give my an environment I'm somewhat comfortable
> in (though Debian does do several things I have to keep going "why the
> **** did they decide to do 'x'), but, from what I have heard they have
> somewhat more updated packages. I could be wrong, I don't know, which
> is why I'm asking here.
>
> My one concern about Mythbuntu is that I have one headless FE (my main
> FE as it happens) which is currently netbooted, rootfs is currently on
> nfs, but I can go iscsi or something else if necessary. For a variety
> of reasons, I don't want to put a hard drive in that case.

No reason you cant still do this on Ubuntu.
With Mythbuntu, you can install Ubuntu Server and then simply install
the mythbuntu packages (or just the MythTV packages) on top.  With daily
builds of the mythtv packages, you can stay as upto date as you want to.

In the beginning I ran MythTV on Fedora, but the constant upgrade cycle
turned me to seek out an alternative OS that provided packaged mythtv
(but wasnt a modified version of that OS)

> I had thought about trying Arch, though I have zero experience with
> it, so was hoping to get some input from that user base as
> well.Version: 2014.0.4716 / Virus Database: 3986/7927 - Release Date:
> 07/26/14

-----
No virus found in this message.