[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu or other distro?

Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sat Jul 26 21:27:27 UTC 2014

On 26/07/2014 1:07 PM, Per Hatlevik wrote:

>     I have one dedicated MBE, one dedicated FE, and a few
>     multi-purpose machines on the network. While I've used Gentoo
>     primarily in the past, at the moment most of my machines are
>     running some form Debian (SID).
>

> if you're happy using debian then why not stick with that? just add
> http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ to your sources and you get releases of
> mythtv. all of my machines are running debian (testing, not unstable
> but close) and it works quite well.
>
> peace,
>
> per hatlevik
Valid question, and one that deserves a response. I find it takes a long
time for new/updated packages to make their way into Debian. While I
respect their reasoning, and I do find myself wanting more of an
appliance versus tinkering all of the time, yet I still like to tinker
at times. Yes, you can run testing/unstable but you will get breakage,
quite often major breakage, when you update something. In my own
experience, I've gotten to try out my backup system several times after
doing do update on SID.

I'm presuming that Mythbuntu, being based on Ubuntu, which traces its
roots to Debian would give my an environment I'm somewhat comfortable in
(though Debian does do several things I have to keep going "why the ****
did they decide to do 'x'), but, from what I have heard they have
somewhat more updated packages. I could be wrong, I don't know, which is
why I'm asking here.

My one concern about Mythbuntu is that I have one headless FE (my main
FE as it happens) which is currently netbooted, rootfs is currently on
nfs, but I can go iscsi or something else if necessary. For a variety of
reasons, I don't want to put a hard drive in that case.

I had thought about trying Arch, though I have zero experience with it,
so was hoping to get some input from that user base as well.