[mythtv-users] Transcoding hardware recommendations

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Jan 21 00:26:51 UTC 2014

On 01/20/2014 02:01 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>> I think I need to build a backend for transcoding.  My two file servers are
>> rock reliable, solid, but slow....
>>
>> model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
>> cpu MHz        : 1000.000
>> bogomips    : 2009.09
>>
>> It took almost 11 hours to transcode 1 hour of HD video into h264 format for
>> my roku.
> What are you using for recording?  Have you considered the new HDHR
> boxes that have integrated realtime hardware h.264 transcoding built
> into them?
>
> Mythtv doesn't yet support them, and the cable card version hasn't
> even been released yet, but if you're looking for something in the
> relatively near future that may be an option worth considering.

I will probably go for a faster platform; my existing hardware is very,
very slow.  I have several hundred hours of legacy recordings that I
want to transcode, so just for that it would be worth it.

I can buy a really nice box for about $600.  I already have an HDHR, and
I don't have a fast computer.  :)