[mythtv-users] Transcoding hardware recommendations

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jan 20 22:01:29 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> I think I need to build a backend for transcoding.  My two file servers are
> rock reliable, solid, but slow....
>
> model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
> cpu MHz        : 1000.000
> bogomips    : 2009.09
>
> It took almost 11 hours to transcode 1 hour of HD video into h264 format for
> my roku.

What are you using for recording?  Have you considered the new HDHR
boxes that have integrated realtime hardware h.264 transcoding built
into them?

Mythtv doesn't yet support them, and the cable card version hasn't
even been released yet, but if you're looking for something in the
relatively near future that may be an option worth considering.

Eric