[mythtv-users] OT: backing up miniDV

Phil Wild phil at holobyte.com.au
Mon Jan 20 18:21:12 UTC 2014

Thanks for the info guys =)

The reason I wanted to use mythtv is that it is my repository for all
things video in the home.
I'm digging through using other tools atm.

I've started with the easiest bit first which is the AVHCD file(s) on my
newest camcorder.
I dumped the AVCHD directory from an SD card onto my mythtv server but myth
had trouble looking into it and playing the clips. To fix, I created a
script that ran exiftool on each MTS file and extracted the creation date
and then used mencoder to repackage to mp4 (without transcoding) while
renaming to Video-YYYY-MM-DD-HH:MM:SS.mp4 using this command

  echo "mencoder infile.MTS -demuxer lavf -oac copy -ovc copy -of lavf=mp4
-o outfile.mp4

This worked well but way too many clips so I've merged all clips for each
day into a single file using

  MP4Box -cat file1 -cat file2 ... -new Video-YYYY-MM-DD.mp4

The only problem I have now is that the files are huge (about 1GB per 10
minutes of footage) so I need to transcode to h264 at a lower bitrate to
get the file size down to something manageable. I also want to de-interlace
the video.

Any suggestions on a command/quality setting that I should start with for
this. I was thinking that a file size of around 2GB per hour would be
reasonable. I'm guessing that the best approach might be to start again and
modify that mencoder command to also do the transcoding.

Thoughts?

Phil