[mythtv-users] VaAPI Error

CACook at Quantum-Sci.com CACook at Quantum-Sci.com
Sun Jan 19 17:34:14 UTC 2014

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:41:20 -0800
<CACook at Quantum-Sci.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:26:17 -0800
> <CACook at Quantum-Sci.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 09:20:47 +1300
> > > VDPAU was created by nVidia but is an open std.
> > >
> > > The FOSS driver (for AMD graphics) supports VDPAU, the nouveau
> > > driver does as well (for nVidia HW) using extracted closed
> > > firmware blob.
> >
> > Thank you, but I need OpenCL and CAL++ for other purposes.  Can the
> > open-source driver do OpenCL, as well as VDPAU?  CAL++ isn't
> > mandatory yet.
>
> So my conclusion, since VA-API is set up correctly, is that there's
> something wrong with the way MythTV is engaging VA-API.  Maybe it's
> looking in the wrong place for the drivers.  Or maybe it didn't find
> the proprietary includes during compile.
>
> vainfo
> https://paste.debian.net/76880/
>
> mytherr
> https://paste.debian.net/76882/

Well nothing works.  I set Painter to Qt and it says Error on Output Device.

I set Painter to Auto and Playback to OpenGL or VAAPI, and when I play a video it gives a fixed red screen with psychedelic designs.  I set Playback to VDPAU, and any time I play a video Myth segfaults and crashes.

I set Painter to OpenGL2, and Myth flips over to a black screen for everything, including menuing.  In fact this is the mode it's in now and I can't change it because all I get is the black screen.  At least <Esc> works to exit out of Myth.

VAAPI is proven to work with my OpenCL apps.  But there is something wrong with the way Myth implements it.  I can't even get software-decoding to work, lol.

My Intel CPU is capable of hardware-decoding video.  I wish there was some way to use that, and push the video out the AMD card.  The AMD card is the only device on my system with an HDMI output.