[mythtv-users] Video Library vs. Watch Recordings

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Oct 6 16:44:26 UTC 2013

I've seen this repeated push for the Video Library vs. trying to poke TV
programs not recorded by Myth into the TV recording library with
myth.rebuilddatabase.pl for example.

TBH, I find the interface for the Video Library, at least in
MythCenter-wide, to be significantly inferior to that of the Watch
Recordings interface no matter which view I choose.

Just having to manually "Scan for Changes" on every front-end is a
complete non-starter for example.  How do I explain that to the family?
  "Well it's really there, you just need to tell the PVR to go look for it".

Is there somewhere where I'm supposed to be able to see a TV episode's
air/start/recording time (i.e. so I know which order to watch them in)
in any of these views?  Does the video library database support such a
data item?

I suppose "Retrieve All Details" is supposed to grab the metadata for an
item?  That doesn't seem to be working.  Neither the front-end log nor
the back-end log indicate doing anything when I choose that.  Mythweb
does seem to be able to get the back-end to retrieve metadata for
recorded programs though.

Metadata grabbing does seem to happen when I Scan for Changes though, as
I have that selected.  That said, I still don't see any metadata for any
of my videos.  I don't even see the grabber being run for many of the
items in my Videos folder although it is run for many items that end up
returning "No results".

The other big problem with this push for the Video Library instead of
Watch Recordings is that now anyone wanting to sit down and watch
something, but not know what they want to watch ahead of time, has to
look in two places to see what's available.  What's more is that an
important feature of Watch Recordings that I cannot seem to replicate
with the Video Library is "what's new?".  With Watch Recordings, I sort
my All Recordings list by recording date so I can easily see which new
episodes are available.

Does anyone really find this Video Library interface a suitable
replacement for Watch Recordings?

All of this said, is there a CLI tool that will add a given file to the
video library, asking me for things like episode title and sub-title and
then do a metadata grab for it?

b.